In 1976 they broke ground on what would grow to be the largest Christian school in the Antelope Valley, and one of the most effective in the country. In 1977, the Family Learning Center opened its doors. Its first year included preschool classrooms, one kindergarten class, and after school care. The Learning Village Grade School opened in 1979 with the addition of first and second grades. During these formative years the church leaders developed the foundational philosophy for the school based on a God-centered world view.
By 1984, the school had expanded to include preschool, elementary and middle school, and by 1988, the infrastructure was complete with the addition of high school classes and an enrollment of 1300 students. It was at this time the name was changed to Desert Christian Schools, a name that more succinctly described the role of the schools as a Christian education institution in the Antelope Valley.