Middle School Athletics
DCMS competes with several area schools in boys and girls cross country, boys and girls volleyball, boys and girls soccer, boys and girls basketball, and boys and girls track.
The primary goals of our sports program are character development and participation. Families that desire a strong instructional component should enroll in one of the fine community programs intended for that purpose.
Parents and students are expected to remain supportive, positive, and encouraging toward officials, coaches, and players of both teams. Those who cannot will be prohibited from participation.
Goals for our Sports Program
- Developing Christian character within the athletes.
- Involving students in an activity that will nurture them spiritually, mentally, socially, and physically.
- Demonstrating and teaching Christian sportsmanship: how to win, lose, accept someone else’s error, and forgive their own mistakes.
- Involving students in practices and games so they feel they are an important part of the team. (Care will be taken to give each student playing time during the season. However, playing time is determined by such factors as game situations, variation of a player’s skills, and discipline. Therefore, playing time is not guaranteed for each game and is solely at the discretion of the coaches. Playing time may particularly be limited during tournaments to the extent that some players may not play during each tournament.)
- Developing a positive self-image in students through encouragement.
- Teaching students to understand and accept their individuality; that God loves them as they are, with their abilities and weaknesses.
- Teaching skills and rules of the sport in which the student is involved.